Date published: Wednesday 21 March 2018
Everyone needs a home.
But right now, Australia’s housing system is broken. A generation of homeowners has been priced out by investors. There is a shortage of secure, affordable rental properties. And more and more people are being pushed into homelessness.
But the good news is, there are simple things our government can do to fix it, and make the system fairer for everyone.
And that’s where the Everybody’s Home campaign comes in. Baptist Care Australia is proud to be part of the push for government to implement the solutions needed to ensure everyone has a home.
You can learn more about the campaign by watching the short video below and checking out the campaign website: everybodyshome.com.au
There’s no doubt Australia’s housing system is broken. Every day, we see articles in the news about soaring house prices. We all know someone who has struggled with the insecurity and high cost of renting. We walk around the streets of any city and we see people sleeping rough.
But the thing is, all of these issues are connected, and they’re all fixable. We’re calling on our government to do just that. Fix it.
We believe there are 5 simple things that our Government can do to fix Australia's housing system and are campaigning for:
- Support for first homebuyers - we need to rebalance our tax system to make it fairer for ordinary Australians wanting to buy a home.
- More social and affordable rental homes – develop a National Housing Strategy to meet Australia’s identified shortfall of 500,000 social and affordable rental homes. We need more homes for local communities, not for profits.
- A better deal for renters - get rid of “no grounds” evictions and unfair rent rises so that the 1 in 3 Australians who rent have the security they need to create homes, build lives and raise families.
- Immediate relief for Australians in chronic rental stress - increase Commonwealth Rent Assistance for the thousands of Australians who are struggling to pay the rent.
- A plan to end homelessness by 2030 - with real effort we can halve homelessness in five years - and end it in 10.
Sign up to support the campaign here. Together we will work to put pressure on our government to implement simple, straight-forward solutions, to make sure everybody has a place to call home.
If you have any questions about the campaign, would like to get involved or would like to arrange to meet with your local MP please contact us .